Blog


Peggi Kroll Roberts Workshop

Part of the journey of being an artist is to never stop learning. Sometimes that journey is more rewarding than others.  I've had all kinds of teachers, some good, some not so good.  Peggi Kroll Roberts falls under the category of a great teacher.  She is generous with her knowledge and gives the student the tools to move to another level.

Last week, I spent 4 days in Charlotte at a workshop with Peggi Kroll Roberts.  A big thank you to Ann Nielsen for sharing her studio and home with the workshop participants.  Two days were spent in the studio working with still lifes and focusing on values.  Those lessons carried over to day three when we worked on the figure.  I discovered that I really should work on my figure drawing skills. I have a lot to learn. At lovely dinner that evening, we were able to see Peggi's paintings and teaching videos. I couldn't resist buying her second set of videos to reinforce what I learned about painting the figure. Saturday turned out to be a 90 degree day and we started 10 paintings of our model, Ann's lovely daughter and son and all the neighborhood kids. Peggi kept us moving from one subject to the next with quick 15-20 minute sketches.  I was exhausted but proud of the all I learned and that I was able to keep going all day.  

Probably the most important lesson I learned was values and intensity of colors.   Great workshop, great teacher, great artist who hosted the event, and great meeting all the wonderful artists in our group.   Thanks to all.

Read Full Post


Workshop in St. Simons, GA

Last week-end I traveled to St. Simons, GA to participate in a three day workshop with artists from the Plein Air Painters of the Southeast.  Each day, we chose one of 2 instructors and painted en plein air (french term meaning in the open air).  What a wealth of information I received from master plein air painters. This was an event sponsored by Anderson Fine Art on St. Simons. 
Saturday, Armand Cabrera let our group of 18 through exercises in painting moss draped oaks and beautiful marshes.  We painted between the rain drops.
Sunday, our large group gathered around Dee Beard Dean as she demonstrated her technique as she painted the St. Simon's lighthouse and keepers cottage. The clouds that rolled in made for interesting compositions.  My painting of the oil house in the shade of a palm tree capitalized on all the information I absorbed from Dee.
Monday, we hung out at the pier with Larry Moore  (president of PAP-SE) and practiced drawing on canvas with one color, concentrating on values rather than color.  I got a good one of a trellis with shimmering light in the background drawing you in.  
Although we were pretty exhausted, we tried to paint the sunset over the marsh.  Tried is the operative word.  Blinded by the setting sun, I painted intuitively and got a quick study in before the sun disappeared.
Energized by all we had learned, Tuesday we stopped in Darien, GA on our way home.  Marshes and Shrimpers drew our attention and begged to be painted.  After a quick study, we embarked on the long drive home. 
Can't wait to do it all again.

Read Full Post